Followers

Saturday, November 20, 2010

I've Been As Snug As A Bug In A Rug

Hello Friends,

Would you believe that my body is still sore after a full week of recovery from my horrible car accident? And would you believe that my chest hurts much worse than my wrists do at this point? I've also been consumed with searching for a car, handling phone calls from insurance companies, somehow managing to walk dogs without good wrists to rely on, and to top it all off, I started my new afternoon tutoring job on Monday sooooo needless to say, there's been a lot going on this week! Believe me, I'm used to being busy but today the bed and


 and a very handsome Iranian rug merchant named Ushman talked me into taking a well needed break. I finished reading this terrific novel, The Rug  Merchant, a few hours ago and I was sad to say goodbye to the main characters: Ushman Khan; his ex-wife, Farak; his wealthy customer, Mrs. Roberts; and his love interest, Stella, because they seemed so real to me. I highly recommend this novel to anyone who wants snuggle up to a good book for hours!  

Here's what Penguin.com had to say about Meg Mullin's debut novel:

"At the heart of Meg Mullins’s debut novel is one of the most touchingly believable characters in recent fiction, a gentle soul in the body of an Iranian exile in New York. Ushman Khan sells exquisite hand-woven rugs to a wealthy clientele that he treats with perfect rectitude. He is lonely, and his loneliness becomes unbearable when he learns that his wife in Iran is leaving him. But when a young woman named Stella comes into his store, what ensues is a love story that is all the more moving because its protagonists understand tragedy. The Rug Merchant will sweep readers away with its inspiring, character-rich tale about shaking free from disappointment and finding connection and acceptance in whatever form they appear."


I'm curious, dear friends, what book has held your attention recently? What book would you recommend I read next?

19 comments:

  1. Hope you get to feeling better. Accidents are terrible things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope you get to feeling better...don't push too hard.

    By the way, The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth STein held my attention as did The Shack! both are wonderful reads that I wanted to prolong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will try the book. We also hope you feel better soon!

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awful--I hope you feel better soon. Accidents are no fun. Thanks for the book recommendation--it sounds like a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about all that has gone on for, and to,you.
    I am currently reading Michael Connelly's 9 Dragons and just finished Carl Hiaason's newest Sky Island. And before that ... the LAST book of The Spencer series by Robert B. Parker. That man's work will be truly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not suprised you still hurt. Think about getting body-slammed by a mattress at 50mph...that's essentially what happened!

    I just finished reading the whole Inspector Gamache mystry series (5 books) by Louise Penny, they were EXCELLENT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I did more reading. I am kinda pathetic. However, given that you are an animal lover, you might like the new David Sedaris book: Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rest and still rest! That's what you needed most!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness!! You must take things easy and rest and recuperate fully!! That was a nasty car accident and you need to give your body time to heal!! I hope you continue to get better!!

    Thanks for the info on this beautiful sounding book!!! It sounds very romantic and tragic and epic and just my kind of book!

    At the moment I am struggling to complete reading One Day by David Nicholls. It had rave reviews and is a best seller but I'm finding it very hard to connect with the characters who seem really spoilt! LOL!!! But what do I know?!?! I'd much rather read the Rug Merchant!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not suprised you are still hurting... It takes time to heal...You need some good resting....Which, lets face it is so hard to do... Try to rest as much as possible. I have been reading Sophie Kingsella's books. She is hysterical!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you're all recovered soon. Take a good rest.

    Thor x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please get well soon! you must REST!! you were in a serious accident and please do not push your recovery! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh momma is always reading the books. So thanks for the recommendation. Now you know it will take a long time to feel better from such an insult to your person, so do be patient. Momma just finished the latest book by a lady called Elizabeth George. She loves all her stuff.

    Slobbers,
    Mango

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you feel better soon. You are like me. I hate when a good novel ends. I miss the characters until I pick up the next book LOL Thanks for the recommendation on 'The Rug Merchant' I made a note of it. It sounds very interesting. I just finished reading 'The Help' which I liked very much. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not much of a reader myself, but Blog Mom likes to read. Lately she hasn't been able to stay awake long enough to read all the blogs, let alone books. She reads a lot of mysteries, but the most recent was just an old Margaret Truman mystery that was lying around the house. She said it was an OK read but the plot was really to preposterous.

    lotsa licks, Lola

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you feel better soon. I havent been reading much lately with all the blog reading ive been doing :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry to hear abouts your accidents! Hope you are doing better soon...
    Mommy hasn't ready too much lately she said, too much holiday prep :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope you feel better soon. We found your blog on houndgirls page. We are newbies starting out and would love to participate in your Thursday blog hop. When can I add our link to this weeks list?

    Love your blog, we'll be back again and again.

    http://cooperlola.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh no we are so behind we had no idea you had been hurt in an accident - we hope you will be feeling better very soon. We are sending over tons of get well soon purrs and prayers!!

    ReplyDelete

Woof! Meow! Meow! Thanks for leaving a comment!