Sunday, November 22, 2015
Saturday, November 21, 2015
Since Thanksgiving will be here in five days I thought I would take a moment to remind you to be cautious with your dog or cat who will inevitably be begging to partake in the big turkey dinner. While this can be a wonderful way to add lean protein and fresh veggies to your pet’s diet there are also, at the very least, ten hidden dangers in holiday fare:• Turkey skin, drippings, or gravy – These can lead to pancreatitis or inflammation of the stomach or intestines.
• Turkey Bones – The bones are extremely brittle and can puncture and break inside their digestive tract. NEVER give your pet a turkey bone to chew on!
• Corn on the Cob – Can lead to intestinal blockages.
• Stuffing – The onions and garlic are toxic as well as many of the spices that are used. Sage is extremely upsetting to pets, especially cats.
• Raisins/Grapes – These are harmful to a dog’s kidneys.
• Mushrooms – These can produce damage to a number of internal organs, including kidneys, liver, and the central nervous system. If a dog eats mushrooms, seizures, coma, vomiting, even death can occur.
• Mashed Potatoes – The butter and fat can cause pancreatitis.
• Candied Yams – Too much butter and fat, leads to an inflamed pancreas.
• Bread Dough – According to ASPCA experts, “when raw bread dough is ingested, an animal’s body heat causes the dough to rise in his stomach. As it expands, the pet may experience vomiting, severe abdominal pain and bloating, which could become a life-threatening emergency, requiring surgery.”
• Chocolate – Most pet owners already know this, but some do not. Chocolate, especially Bakers Chocolate can make your pet severely ill or even kill them if ingested.
Wednesday, November 18, 2015
Monday, November 16, 2015
|From left to right: Iggy and Lemmy are rewarded with more peanut butter after taking their daily supplements.|
If you have dogs like Iggy and Lemmy who are accustomed to taking their supplements with peanut butter each day I strongly recommend that you avoid buying brands that contain Xylitol because it is extremely toxic to dogs in very small doses. Ingestion can cause rapid hypoglycemia (a dangerous drop in blood sugar level), extensive damage to liver cells, seizures, or death.
Besides Xylitol, if the ingredient label lists a high sugar and salt content then you should leave the jar on the shelf and purchase a all-natural peanut butter such as the Teddie brand. This brand is not only healthy but it is also so delicious that I started eating it as well!
As a general rule of thumb, the lesser the ingredients the better the product is for your pets (and you too!) and the Teddie brand passes the test!
You can rest assured that the Teddie's low sugar count is a healthy alternative to the popular brands on your grocery store counters!
Please pass this very important information along to anyone you know who regularly includes peanut butter in their dogs' diet. Thank you!
Sunday, November 15, 2015
Saturday, November 14, 2015
Thursday, November 12, 2015
For nearly two months I took care of 19 year old Olivia while her owners were vacationing in Europe and during that time she and I formed a wonderful bond so of course I had a difficult time saying goodbye to her in October and wondered when I would see her again so I'm happy to report that my wish to reunite with her came true last week for three blissful days!
Even though she's an old gal I swear that she heard me park my car in her driveway because she trotted to the front door as soon as I opened it! She meowed loudly and I scooped her into my arms right away until she let me know she was ready for her
wet food topped with chicken broth!
Afterwards, she hopped onto the couch waiting for me to sit beside her and pet her silky fur!
Needless to say, she talked me into staying much longer than the usual thirty minutes by purring and nuzzling up to my arm. I mean, with a face like hers how could anyone resist?
For Olivia's age she's in amazingly good health so it is my hope, of course, that she remains that way for as long as possible!
If you live in the Dover/Durham, New Hampshire area and are in need of a trustworthy, professional pet sitter to take care of your cat(s) please contact me! I am always happy to add new friends to the Teacher's Pet Sitting Service family!