Since Thanksgiving will be here in five days I thought I would take a moment to remind you to be cautious with your dog or cat who will inevitably be begging to partake in the big turkey dinner. While this can be a wonderful way to add lean protein and fresh veggies to your pet’s diet there are also, at the very least, ten hidden dangers in holiday fare:• Turkey skin, drippings, or gravy – These can lead to pancreatitis or inflammation of the stomach or intestines.
• Turkey Bones – The bones are extremely brittle and can puncture and break inside their digestive tract. NEVER give your pet a turkey bone to chew on!
• Corn on the Cob – Can lead to intestinal blockages.
• Stuffing – The onions and garlic are toxic as well as many of the spices that are used. Sage is extremely upsetting to pets, especially cats.
• Raisins/Grapes – These are harmful to a dog’s kidneys.
• Mushrooms – These can produce damage to a number of internal organs, including kidneys, liver, and the central nervous system. If a dog eats mushrooms, seizures, coma, vomiting, even death can occur.
• Mashed Potatoes – The butter and fat can cause pancreatitis.
• Candied Yams – Too much butter and fat, leads to an inflamed pancreas.
• Bread Dough – According to ASPCA experts, “when raw bread dough is ingested, an animal’s body heat causes the dough to rise in his stomach. As it expands, the pet may experience vomiting, severe abdominal pain and bloating, which could become a life-threatening emergency, requiring surgery.”
• Chocolate – Most pet owners already know this, but some do not. Chocolate, especially Bakers Chocolate can make your pet severely ill or even kill them if ingested.