Followers

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

My 9 Item Checklist to Help You Find a Professional Pet Sitter


We live in a society where instant gratification can be achieved by clicking on an app in order to get our needs met in the blink of an eye. I can certainly understand why it is tempting to take advantage of these apps because they save time and money but for me personally (yes, I have a professional pet sitter on hand at anytime I need a lending hand) I would not take advantage of popular pet sitting apps such as Care.com, Rover, or DogVacay because sacrificing quality in place of a quick "fix" would not make me comfortable in regards to visiting my pets. 

What concerns me about the individuals on these apps is that they are HOBBY SITTERS; in other words, they may have a genuine love of pets but aren't invested in giving clients professional service. For me, I need someone who considers pet sitting as a career and who is passionate about what they do because my pets are my TOP priority and they deserve the best care possible.

To further help you find that perfect pet sitter I recommend the following:
 

1) Make a list of everything you need in a sitter and a list of the needs of your pet.   


For example: Does your pet require medication? Would your pet be happier with a male or a female pet sitter? Do you want a pet sitter who will water your plants, take out the trash, etc, at no extra cost?

2) Seek recommendations from your veterinarian and vet techs.
Some vet techs provide pet sitting services for clients at a low cost. Many veterinarians, like those at Northside Animal Hospital in Hooksett, NH, have a community bulletin board where pet sitters advertise their services. 


3) Contact PSI (Pet Sitters International) for referrals
Pet Sitters International offers a certification program for qualified pet sitters.


K9 Kaos, located at 432 6th Street in Dover, NH, has a large inventory of pet supplies for dogs and cats.

4) Speak with employees at your local pet store for recommendations.


Patty had no problem introducing herself to her new pet sitter during her new client meeting!

5) Make sure your potential pet sitter insists on meeting you and your pet in your home before hiring him/her.
I always meet new clients in their home because we want the pets to become familiar with us while making sure I know where everything related to the pet's care is located.



6)Every pet sitter should arrive at your home with paperwork for you to review and complete.
  
If he does not have these available be sure to leave detailed notes pertaining to the care of your pets so that he can refer to them whenever necessary. Be sure to provide him with contact information, phone numbers and addresses of your vet, and friends and neighbors who can help out if necessary.



7) Make sure he is licensed and bonded and has excellent references and experience.


8) Make certain your pet sitter is able to handle an emergency and is aware of the phone number and location of the nearest veterinary emergency hospital and/or the vet’s office.

If this information has been helpful, please leave feedback! I hope you find your perfect pet sitter just in time for your next vacation!


 
 9) Be sure your pet sitter promises to communicate with you on regular basis.

I always offer to update clients in whatever form they are most comfortable with so they can rest assured that their pets are safe and happy. For many years, visit logs were popular with my clients but lately their preference has been to receive texts and/or emails.

I hope this list helps you find that perfect pet sitter for your beloved companions! If you can think of any other pet sitting requirements that I missed, please leave a comment below! Thank you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Woof! Meow! Meow! Thanks for leaving a comment!