Followers

Friday, March 23, 2012

A Little Time, A Little Walk, And A Little Love Goes A Long Way At Cocheco Valley Humane Society


When I moved to Dover, New Hampshire, I made it my mission to spend as much time volunteering at Cocheco Valley Humane Society as possible because walking dogs at the shelter allows me to put my focus on the animals rather than on myself for a few hours per week.


The Cocheco Valley Humane Society is small in size but it has served the domestic animal welfare needs of more than 125,000 residents of Strafford County since 1984. This former 100 year old piggery has been providing shelter to more than 2,300 animals per year with additional services to thousands more. Now, that's a lot of animals!


And one of the animals receiving shelter, food, water, and exercise is Lucas, a handsome Rhodesian Ridgeback/Sharpei mix. He was an absolute love, a calm and easy walker, and a natural in front of the camera. He seemed to be pleading with his gentle eyes for me take him home and I was tempted, believe me.


And the other dog who tempted me to take him home was Roger, a dalmatian/boxer mix, who was brought in as a stray. For a dog who is believed to be five years old, Roger certainly didn't act his age yesterday. Instead, he was pulling, jumping, and smiling during our walk and when we completed the walk he begged to go out again. His excitement for life was infectious; so infectious that he couldn't stand still for the camera!

For me, socializing and walking the dogs at the shelter only increases the dog's chances of becoming adopted and I am grateful that I have the time to help them find their forever home.

If you are interested in adopting Lucas or Roger or any other animals at Cocheco Valley Humane Society please click here or here

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are the best places to volunteer!
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, animal shelters are one of the best places to volunteer! So much love to go around!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are both big teases!! I would love them both--- but we have no money no even for one!!! You do good work!!! Thank you for helping them!!! You are a good girl!!!

    ReplyDelete

Woof! Meow! Meow! Thanks for leaving a comment!